ETAP Owners' Association Forum Forum Index ETAP Owners' Association Forum
for members of the ETAP Owners Association and anyone else with an interest in ETAP yachts
  ETAP Owners' Association Home

The ETAP Owners' Association cannot accept responsibility for views expressed in this forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Around the World in a 21i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ETAP Owners' Association Forum Forum Index -> General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etapowner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Around the World in a 21i Reply with quote

Topic Summary

Posted by: John P
Posted on: Apr 4th, 2005, 4:55pm

Has anyone seen this:

"Un tour du monde en famille sur un voilier de 6 mètres
Hardis, les petits !
L’équation est aussi simple que folle : un voilier de 6,50 mètres, 3 personnes, 3 ans, 30 000 milles ! Qui dit mieux ? Hans Habeck, sa femme Carola et leur fils Andreas, trois ans, l’ont fait à bord d’un petit Etap 21i. Et bien fait. Récit d’un tour du monde alizéen pas tout à fait comme les autres !"

The story of a family of 3 who sailed an ETAP21i around the world is told in the April 2005 edition of the French magazine Voiles et Voiliers, http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/scripts/consult/actu/listedetail.asp.

Posted by: petermack
Posted on: Apr 13th, 2005, 09:32am

hi john, interested to know more re the german family who sailed
around. i have an etap 21i and are about to set off for 5 months
up the east coast of australia, about 3 thousand miles. i have almost
a standard boat with windpilot self steering vane, some electronics
5 sails , 3hp motor , gps and heaps of charts. like to hear from any
owners of 21i who have done long distance trips. cheers peter.

Posted by: Willie M
Posted on: Apr 13th, 2005, 4:22pm

Sounds like a story that has to be read.

I'm afraid I'll need to scout around and see if I can find an English transcript somewhere, I'm afraid my French isn't up to much

Posted on: Apr 17th, 2005, 7:39pm

I think the parents were fitness instructors. The boat was virtually standard, the main mods being extra water tankage and the ability to fly 2 headsails. Cooking was by means of the standard single burner spirit stove, eating mainly rice based dishes. They sailed from Colijnsplaat, The Netherlands, averaged 5kts across the Atlantic, then through the Panama Canal, across the Pacific & back the Suez. They met the usual weather conditions which the boat seems to have handled well. The only major damage on the trip was a broken rudder. Luckily the 21i has a spare.

ETAP themselves have already sailed a flooded 21i across the English Channel so the class is certainly proving itself very capable.

Posted on: Apr 18th, 2005, 2:06pm

hi john, thanks for the update. yes, i have read the channel article
on the flooded 21i, i have also heard that several other rudders have
broken on 21 's . although checking mine, i have found no sign of any
working damage. i have the only 21 in australia, i think that nearly 400 have been produced, so i hope the rudder problem is only isolated. hopeing to hear more about the french article. cannot get the magazine in aust. cheers petermack.

Posted on: Apr 18th, 2005, 3:46pm

Hi Peter

The rudder broke when they hit something, but I cannot remeber what it was. I do not have the magazine now but will try to obtain a copy of the article.

Your own plans sound interesting. When do you hope to go?

Posted on: Apr 19th, 2005, 4:08pm

hi john, planning to leave in about 6 weeks time. busy getting the boat ready, then out of sydney harbour, turn left, destination , cooktown, which is north of cairns, queensland. the trip will cover most of the entire coast of eastern australia, over 3 thousand miles.
why go in an etap 21i ? it's the only boat i have at the moment. but as most of the trip will be coastal sailing it should be ok. will need to take lots of mars bars, not much room for anything else. cheers peter.
petermack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: around the world in 21i Reply with quote

Sad hi john, have not been successful in tracking down the french article.
can anyone help me. would like to read it, cheers peter.
petermack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy hi john, regarding the article in voiles et voiliers, i've tracked it down in australia would you believe. quite an extensive ten page story, it will help me brush up on my french. cheers for now, peter.
John P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter. Thanks for letting me know. Happy reading.

"Piccolo", Winner 8, Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Johnpye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Round the world in an ETAP 21i Reply with quote

I was recently given a copy of an article in English on this, but the publication details aren't on my copy.

Article was Peter Poland's By the lee, which I think appears in Sailing Today.

Apparently the rudder was lost in the Pacific. With about 400 miles to go a turtle got in the way. They heard a bang and scuttled about looking for leaks. Found none. It was a couple of days before they realised that one of the rudders was broken off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ETAP Owners' Association Forum Forum Index -> General Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: